Tuesday, November 26, 2013

See, the thing about opinions is...

...society doesn't really think you're capable of changing them.

I kinda have a hard time putting how I feel about stuff in print. It's really a lot less of a hassle if I just think stuff and occasionally say it (to selected people), because... What if I change my mind? It happens all the time, actually. I have a new experience, someone brings some information to light that I didn't previously have, or I just decide to look at things from a different perspective. Once I put how I feel about a subject in writing, I have essentially locked myself into that point of view. It's much easier for people to use my opinions against me if they're in print. "See? It says so right here! You hate country music!"  If later on I decide that I feel differently (Highly unlikely with country music, but you never know.) and I want to change my opinion, there's all this red tape to deal with.

I find it interesting how people all around me are constantly trying to sway my opinions to favor theirs -- "Abortion is wrong! Jesus saves! Obama sucks! Guns kill! Team Edward!" -- but actually changing your stance on an issue is often viewed with skepticism. You're wishy-washy if you change your mind. People can't trust you because you can be easily swayed, blah, blah, blah. I find it's much less of a headache to have ideas and keep them to myself, if possible. Not that I'm opposed to giving my opinion when asked, but I've learned the hard way that even if it's not a permanent point of view, the score keepers certainly think so.

2 comments:

  1. You make an Interesting point. I am not easily swayed on opinions I post but if I do end up changing my mind I write a post referencing the opinion change and the reasons behind it. Anyone who disparages you for rethinking you position isn't worth the effort to argue with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. And although it's less of a headache for me to keep my opinions to myself, no one has ever accused me of doing things the easy way. ;)

    ReplyDelete